Jump to Main ContentJump to Primary Navigation
leicestertigers.comMattioli Woods Welford RoadContact UsTopps Tiles

Flood enjoys winning return to club colours

Figure image
He missed out on a try against Gloucester for the second time this season, but Leicester Tigers fly-half Toby Flood enjoyed every minute of Sunday's 36-3 victory over Gloucester.

Released from England training and allowed to gain game-time with his club, Flood and half-back partner Ben Youngs exerted a control on rain-lashed proceedings at Welford Road which kept Tigers on the front foot and reinforced their claims for a place in the Aviva Premiership top four.

“To score 36 points in those conditions is testament to how hard the guys worked for each other,” said Flood after seeing his team-mates run in five tries against one of their closest challengers.

“It’s a massive result at this stage of the season. We didn’t have the start to the season we wanted but we’ve had a good run and we’re trying to keep grinding out the wins. That is all we can do.

“People know we are in the hunt and we are where we want to be.”

Flood and Youngs only returned from England duties on Thursday but were central to the Tigers performance on Sunday.

“We just wanted to come and crack on with it,” said Flood. “The best medicine sometimes is just going back to the club and going out and enjoying it. I enjoyed it and I think Ben did too. You put your Leicester hat on and just do your work and play.

“I thought Ben was outstanding, the way he ran with the ball was excellent and he is a real threat even in those conditions.

“It is not easy to play on these days but the control of the game and control of the ball was great and credit to the boys for that.”

Director of rugby Richard Cockerill was also delighted with the performane of the international half-backs.

“They arrived back on Thursday and I just said, ‘Go and play and don't worry about anything, just play and enjoy it’ and they did that,” he said. “They both did it very well and I’m really pleased for them because they have had some stick in recent weeks. Today showed what they are made of by playing a big role in our win.”

Flood kicked four conversions and a second-half penalty, but missed out on a try when he was denied by the television match official shortly before the 30-minute mark.

Taking the play up to the Gloucester line, he twisted and turned to get the ball down under the posts and felt sure the points would be awarded.

“I’m still claiming the try,” he smiled after the final whistle. “That’s two against Gloucester this season – I thought I’d scored down there, I thought I got my fingertips to the ball but that one wasn’t given and I thought I had the ball down today. That’s 10 points they owe me.”

In the end, scores by Logoviii Mulipola, Steve Mafi and Ben Youngs gave Tigers a first-half lead, with Matt Smith and Alesana Tuilagi adding the second-half scores to guarantee the maximum five points.