Jump to Main ContentJump to Primary Navigation
leicestertigers.comMattioli Woods Welford RoadContact UsTopps Tiles
Rugby News

Tigers help lead England to victory over Wales

Leicester Tigers fly-half George Ford contributed 15 points in England's 33-19 win over Wales in their Quilter International at Twickenham on Sunday afternoon.

It took the home side just four minutes to take the lead when Billy Vunipola scored from close range, which Ford converted, and from there they didn't look back.

A try less than ten minutes later to right winger Joe Cokanasiga in forward-like fashion from the base of the ruck was converted by Ford and stretched the lead out to 14-0 after as many minutes.

A jam-packed Twickenham crowd was treated to an impressive solo effort from Welsh scrum-half Gareth Davies in the 23rd minute, which saw the No9 dart from the base of a scrum 40m out and sidestep his way through the English defence to register the visitors first points of the match.

Gareth Anscombe converted to close the gap to seven points.

With the first half all but over, Wales hooker Ken Owens mistimed a line-out throw to his skipper Alun Wyn Jones and his opposite number Luke Cowan-Dickie pounced on the overthrow to dive over from just metres out and score his debut England try in his first start.

Ford was again successful from the tee to see his side take a fourteen-point, 21-7 lead in to the half-time break.

A penalty just minutes in to the second-half to Ford extended the English lead to 24-7, before his Tigers team-mate Ben Youngs was injected in to the match at scrum-half with half an hour remaining to see the Leicester No9 equal Dan Cole as the club's most-capped England internationals on 86 appearances for their country.

Cole reached the milestone an hour prior to his club mate when he started the fixture alongside fellow Tiger Ellis Genge in the front-row.

Wales managed to fight their way back in to the match with two tries in six minutes, to George North and Wyn Jones, before two successful penalty goal attempts from Ford in the 61st and 73rd minutes all but secured victory.

Manu Tuilagi was a late replacement for England, when Piers Francis was assisted from the field by medical staff, and the Tigers centre took no time in enforcing himself upon the match with a strong defensive effort in the first phase after coming on to the pitch followed by a barnstorming run in attack soon after which had the Twickenham crowd on their feet.

A late drop-goal from Elliot Daly saw the home side's lead return to the half-time margin of fourteen points, where it would stay, and confirm the 33-19 win for Eddie Jones and his side ahead of a re-match next Saturday in Cardiff with their Welsh counterparts.

Speaking at full-time, England captain and Tigers fly-half Ford said: "It's a good start ... we said all week what a great opportunity it would be."

"We wanted to rip in together ... not everything was going to be perfect.

"But, we found a way."