Movember is an annual global campaign that encourages men to grow mustaches during November to raise awareness and funds for men's health issues, particularly prostate cancer, testicular cancer, and mental health.
The club are encouraging our Tigers family to get involved and begin growing your moustache to raise awareness! We have also opened up a donations page, all proceeds of which will be split 50/50 between Movember and our own Leicester Tigers Foundation.
These causes are close to all of our hearts and particularly prescient in our local area.
- In Leicestershire, from 2016 - 18, there were 8.3 deaths per 100,000 men through suicide.*
- On average, 80 people die from suicide in Leicester, Leicestershire and Rutland.*
- For males living in Leicester, the age standardised death rate due to cancer was significantly higher than in the rest of England (165.8 in Leicester compared with 143.3 nationally per 100,000 males).†
Across the UK, the statistics are similarly stark:
- Suicide is the biggest killer of men under the age of 46
- In 2019, 76% of suicides in England and Wales were men
- 12.5% of men report having a mental health condition such as depression or anxiety
- 40% of men said that it would take thoughts of suicide or self-harm for them to seek help
- 87% of rough sleepers are men, with a large percentage of rough sleepers experiencing mental ill health
We at Leicester Tigers want to do all we can to help and that starts with awareness of these issues. What better way to visibly show your support for these critical topics than growing a mo to show your commitment to the cause.
Equally, we want to raise as much money as we can, on behalf of the wonderful Movember, who do so much incredible work in these areas, as well as our own Leicester Tigers Foundation, who do such brilliant work across the likes of Hitz, our SEND programmes, FitFans and more.
Further, we will be looking to launch an exciting new initiative specifically around the crisis surrounding mens mental health: so watch this space!
Please get involved in any way you can. Whether that be joining the cause and growing a moustache yourself to raise awareness, whether that’s raising money and donating or even just checking in with a mate and making sure they’re ok, we would love as many of the Tigers Family as possible to get involved.
You can donate via the link below.