More than 3,000 primary school pupils across Leicestershire have taken part in the Global Payments Healthy Schools programme in partnership with Leicester Tigers since it was introduced at the start of 2018.
The programme is back for the new school year, delivering healthy eating and living sessions for pupils in year groups four and five.
Having worked with 11 schools already, Tigers health education officer Ashleigh Theobald is heading into a new crop of schools with a series of weekly lesson takeovers.
Global Payments is one of the world’s largest payment processing companies and is based just up the road from Welford Road Stadium on De Montfort Street.
The company helps to fund and support the running of the programme, from supplying the resources, such as balls, booklets and equipment, to promoting the programme.
Over the course of a week, kids will take part in a theory and practical session for each class, covering topics such as:
- What healthy foods and drinks are?
- Why we should eat and drink them?
- What exercise is and its benefits?
- Fun exercises, activities and games you can play at home
- An Inter-class competition to find your school’s ‘Healthy Schools Champions’