Jump to Main ContentJump to Primary Navigation
leicestertigers.comMattioli Woods Welford RoadContact UsTopps Tiles

Big night in County Cup contests

Figure image
South Leicester lifted the Leicestershire RU County Cup at Welford Road on Wednesday evening, while the Under-18s trophy was shared after a thrilling draw.

Finalists for a seventh time in eight years, South lifted the trophy for the third time since 2011 as they scored seven tries in a 59-30 win over a Lutterworth side in their second successive appearance.
Lutterworth started brightly against their National Three opposition with prop Joshua Connor driving over for a 5-0 lead and it remained tight as Gaz Kerr ran in first try for South Leicester, only for centre Oliver Jempson to score for Lutts, which Jack Edwards converted for a 15-11 lead.
Edward Hopkins finished a drive from the South forwards, with Ricky Aley adding a conversion from out wide and then landing a 45-metre penalty to establish a 21-15 lead on the half-hour mark.
Danny Graney then finished smartly on the left and Aley stretched the lead to 13 points with the conversion before hooker Luke Coltman barged over for South’s fourth try.
Lutterworth fought back as the forwards set up wing George Ball to score and Tom Hooper kicked the extras.
But South Leicester two tries inside a minute settled the contest as, first, Mark Lord carved his way through and then Connor Smith ran clear to bring up the 50 points.
After Andy Gates added another to the South tally, Lutterworth were rewarded for their efforts with the last score of the game, from scrum-half Daniel Linacre.
A last-minute converted try for Market Harborough secured a 15-15 draw against Oadby Wyggestonian in the Laurence Fenton Under-18 County Cup Final in front of a large crowd.
Harry Jinks and Laurence Joel landed a penalty each before flanker Ed Parker raced in on the right to claim the opening try for Harborough and establish an 8-3 lead before half-time.
Wyggs captain James Rodwell-Smith levelled the scores and their celebrations continued when scrum-half Ryan Lee read the bounce of the ball and had the pace to run in under the posts. Jinks supplied the conversion for a 15-8 lead.
But, with the game into its final minute, Harborough kept their nerve to recycle ball for Harry Bissett to score, leaving Joel to level the match with an immaculate pressure kick from the right.
Leicestershire RU president Paul Green invited captains and vice-captains of both teams to lift the trophy which will be shared.