Mattioli Woods Welford Road will become only the eighth venue to host the Varsity Matches in nearly 150 years on Sunday, July 4.
The home of Leicester Tigers welcomes the Varsity Matches between Cambridge and Oxford Universities’ women’s and men’s team this year.
After previous meetings at The Parks in Oxford and Parker’s Piece in Cambridge dating back to 1872, The Oval and two venues in Blackheath hosted the universities before Queen’s Club became the first recognised long-term home for the annual ‘Battle of the Blues’ in 1887.
The contest remained there for 27 years when rising attendances for what was regarded as the biggest fixture in the calendar outside international matches led to a move to Twickenham in 1921.
In total, 93 games have been played at the home of English rugby over the last 100 years, with the women’s match added in 2015 after previously alternating between the cities of Oxford and Cambridge from its inauguration in 1988.