Staying mentally and physically fit and healthy can be tough when you’re out of your usual routine and possibly stuck at home – which is exactly why we’re sharing our FitFans tips and tricks with the Leicester Tigers community.
FitFans is a club-led initiative designed to get supporters of all ages active, even at home. We’ll post new sessions to LeicesterTigers.com every Tuesday, so check back regularly for your FitFans fix!
THOUGHTS OF ‘THE SESH’: CORE
I have based this week’s exercise around the “core workout” programme so you can keep up with it at home.
FOOD OF THE WEEK: SWEET POTATO AND WHOLEMEAL/GRAIN CARBS
Wholemeal carbohydrates and sweet potatoes are what we like to call the “right carbs” because they are a great source of fibre, vitamins and minerals, and they last in our systems much longer.
All foods have a GI content (Glycaemic Index) which basically indicates how long we are able to burn a certain food source before we get hungry again. If you’re thinking, “Okay then, I’ll start to eat foods high in GI” – DON’T, it’s the other way around. The lower the GI content is in the carbohydrate the better it is for us because they burn for much longer and aren’t as heavy on our stomachs.
- Choosing foods with lower GI content and/or sweet potatoes can help manage glucose (sugar) levels in people with Type 2 Diabetes.
- Sweet potatoes are high in an antioxidant know as beta-carotene which helps towards healthy skin, immune system and good eye health.
- 80g of sweet potato counts towards one of your five a day
EXERCISE OF THE WEEK: SQUATS
Below is a picture of Welford doing our exercise of the week. This exercise will change weekly and will always be something you can do at home!
- Stand with your feet shoulder width apart
- Put your arms out in front of you to aid balance
- Squat down as if you were going to sit on a chair
- And back up to standing position
- Try to keep your back straight
- Try not to break at the waist or bend forward
- The slower the squat, the more control, the harder it becomes
- If you would like a progression, perform the same step-by-step guide but change the “and back up to standing” to a jump and land.
- Keep the knees soft to land on
- Really explode out of that squat, holding the rest of your body in the same position and land. Then stand, wait and start again.
- Repeat 8-10 reps 3 sets with in between
YOU CAN DO THIS
On Instagram, You’ll find a database of our photos, meals of the week and exercises of the week from our Tigersfitfans page. Feel free to have a scroll through or share with friends who may be interested.